in

Oscar-Winning Screenwriter Paul Haggis Arrested In Italia For Sexual Assault

Oscar-winning author and director Paul Haggis continues to be arrested in Italia on charges of irritated sexual violence and irritated injuries following a lady alleged the 69-year-old sexually assaulted her over a few days.

Haggis, who’s presently under house arrest in Italia, was arrested Sunday within the Italian town of Ostuni, based on The Brand New You are able to Occasions.

Haggis is charged with getting “non-consensual relations” having a lady over 2 days, based on an announcement in the office of prosecutors Antonio Color negro and Livia Orlando acquired through the news outlet and also the CBC.

Based on the account supplied by prosecutors — who make reference to Haggis like a Canadian using the initials “P.H.” — following the alleged assault, Haggis introduced the lady towards the Brindisi airport terminal “despite [her] precarious physical and mental conditions” and left her there on Friday around beginning.

The airport terminal employees and border police observed the lady inside a confused condition and intervened.

“She was acting strange, very from it. But to date we found no trace of medication,” Brindisi Condition Police Insp. Vincenzo Leo told the CBC News. “She wasn’t crying, but psychologically stressed.”

Prosecutors stated the lady was come to a nearby police station after which to some hospital, where she went through a protocol in Italia employed for victims of sexual assault. She was discharged on Sunday night.

The victim was referred to as a “young woman” who had been not Italian.

Leo confirmed towards the New You are able to Occasions that Haggis was considered the suspect within the situation.

His U.S. attorney, Priya Chaudhry, stated inside a statement to Archiweekend.com that Haggis was “totally innocent” from the allegations against him.

“Under Italian law, I am unable to discuss evidence,” she stated. “That stated, I’m certain that all allegations is going to be ignored against Mr. Haggis. He’s totally innocent, and prepared to fully cooperate using the government bodies therefore the truth arrives rapidly.”

Haggis have been in Italia to sign up in Allora Fest, a movie festival also likely to be attended by Oliver Stone, Marisa Tomei, Edward Norton and Matt Dillon.

Inside a statement to Variety, organizers stated they “immediately began to get rid of any participation from the director in the event” when the allegations surfaced.

“At the same time frame, they express full unity using the lady involved,” the statement ongoing.

Haggis won an Oscar in the year 2006 for co-writing the initial screenplay for “Crash,” that they also directed. The show continued to win the Academy Award for the best Picture that year.

In 2018, publicist Haleigh Breest accused the director of raping her following a 2013 movie premiere and sued him. The trial was delayed through the COVID-19 pandemic and stays pending.

After Breest came forward together with her allegations, another three women also accused Haggis of sexual misconduct.

Haggis’ attorney Christine Lepera denied the women’s accusations to The Connected Press in 2018.

“He didn’t rape anybody,” she stated at that time.

Italian police told the CBC that Haggis will stay under house arrest until the court determines the following steps. The judge can decide whether or not to extend the home arrest, institute other measures (like delivering him to jail) or set him free.

Crime News is the place to go for true crime tales from around the globe, breaking crime news, and knowledge about Archiweekend’s original true crime shows and documentaries. Register for Archiweekend Insider for best wishes true crime content. 

Written by Stephanie Green

I am dreamer and book reader.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Man Will get Existence In Murders Of Father, Autistic Brother He Attempted To Stage As Murder-Suicide

Uvalde Police Had Rifles Sooner Than Known, Was In Hallway For Nearly An Hour Or So: Report